Heart Healthy Turkey Meatloaf
Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa Chef Drew Rosen has a passion for cuisine that is both heart-healthy and palate pleasing, and consistently garners rave reviews from Pritikin guests for rich, savory entrees, dishes that are all the more impressive considering that each follows Pritikin Eating Plan guidelines and is prepared without artery clogging fats like butter and cream and no added salt.
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 28-ounce can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1 pound Ground Turkey Breast
- 2/3 cup Minced Onions
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 2/3 cup diced Green Peppers
- 2/3 cup diced Red Peppers
- 2/3 cup diced Carrots
- 2/3 cup diced Celery
- 2/3 cup Minced Parsley
- 1 ½ cup Oatmeal
- 2/3 cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
- 4 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 2 ½ tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire
- ½ tablespoon Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- ¼ tablespoon Black Pepper
- 3 Egg Whites
- Tabasco to Taste
- ½ cup prepared Pritikin Tomato Sauce
Now Do This
- Combine all tomato sauce ingredients in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about 20 minutes. Set aside for use in meatloaf.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all meatloaf ingredients until well mixed.
- Spray meatloaf pan with food release. Lightly mound turkey meatloaf mixture in pan.
- Bake 45 minutes covered, at 375 degrees.
- Bake an additional 25 minutes uncovered at 375 degrees.
- Remove Meatloaf from oven let rest for 20 minutes before slicing.
By The Way
PRITIKIN EXCHANGES ¼-CC, 1¼-V, ½-HP