During long summer when we wear sandals and open-toed shoes, we tend to take better care of our feet because we are concerned with aesthetic appearance. Then Autumn and Winter rolls through, and our feet are all but forgotten as we bind them up in heavy socks, shoes, and boots, day after day, in heated environments.
Our feet take a toll and can either develop Winter Athlete’s Foot from not drying our feel properly and allowing the skin to whiten and pucker, or, we over-dry them in front of fireplaces and heaters, pay little attention to exfoliation and moisture, and we trim and care for the nails less frequently, contributing to nail problems.
Kick off those boots and shoes and give your feet a treat in the winter. This overnight moisturizing mask is ideal for cold climates or wintry weather when wearing boots and socks has made your feet dry, scaly, or just plain neglected.
The cocoa butter (or coconut oil if you prefer) serves as emollient moisturizer, and the honey is an anti-bacterial remedy which will aid in healing cracked heels. The addition of almonds and oatmeal help to exfoliate the dry skin once the masque is rinsed off the following morning.
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup dry oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons food grade cocoa butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Process almonds in a blender or coffee grinder until finely ground. Set aside.
- In the same blender, pulse your oatmeal until of the same consistency.
- In a bowl, combine ground oatmeal, cocoa butter, honey and ground almonds.
- Rub into your clean feet, step into cotton socks, and leave on overnight.
- The next morning, remove the socks while standing in your tub or shower enclosure.
- Scrub the mixture into the feet to remove dry skin.
- Rinse feet in cool water.
- Pat dry.